The Office of Clinical Experiences helps coordinate students' placement in their field experience, student teaching, and counseling practicum and internships. Contact us at 305-348-2082 for more information.
In order to ensure that the School of Education and Human Development complies with the regulations of the hosting districts all public, charter, and private school placements must be arranged through the Office of Clinical Experiences.
To obtain a placement, students need to bring a valid security clearance card (Miami-Dade County) or badge (Broward County) and a copy of their course schedule to the Office of Clinical Experiences in ZEB 130, Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm.
Please be aware of the following policies:
- All placements must be arranged through the Office of Clinical Experiences.
- All students must be fingerprinted and cleared before beginning field experience hours.
- Placement requests must be arranged before the mandatory school Orientation.
- Students must attend Orientation to comply with district and building policies as set forth by the building administrator.
- Students must demonstrate professional behavior and appropriate attire at all field sites.
Before starting student teaching placement, students are required to take and pass the Professional Education (PEd), and appropriate Subject Area Exam (SAE). Students must provide evidence of passing scores on all required exams by the end of the semester immediately preceding the internship.
All students must meet School of Education and Human Development Initial Teacher Education Program (ITEP) admission requirements by March 1st for Fall or July 1st for Spring placements. This includes passing all four (4) parts of the GKT.
For Fall Semester: Jan. 15th through Feb. 1st
For Spring Semester: May 15th through June 1st
For Fall Semester Feb. 15th through March 1st
For Spring Semester: June 15th through July 1st
Application Process and Deadlines
Student Teaching Checklist
1. Have valid security clearance from the appropriate district
- Clearance card for Miami-Dade County Schools
- Badge for Broward County Schools
2. Meet Initial Teacher Education Program admission requirements
- Official score report for ALL 4 parts of the GKT must be received by FIU prior to submitting ST application
- Complete paperwork with Academic Advisor in ZEB 220
3. Complete ST application in ZEB 130
4. Pass SEHD online plagiarism tutorial with 80% or higher
5. Attend mandatory SEHD Writing Seminar
6. Get application packet approved by your Faculty Advisor
7. Submit faculty-approved paperwork to ZEB 130
- By March 1st for FALL SEMESTER
- By July 1st for SPRING SEMESTER
8. Complete ALL lower division courses before ST
9. Complete ALL program courses before ST
- Grade of “C” or higher
- “IN” grades are not acceptable
10. Meet Student Teaching FTCE Requirement
- Official score report for ALL 4 parts of the GKT is required for SEHD Initial Teacher Education Program admission.
- Official score report for the Subject Area Exam (SAE) & the Professional Education Exam (PEd) MUST be submitted before beginning Student Teaching.
- August 15 for FALL Semester
- December 15 for Spring Semester