As of March 12, 2020, the university has moved to remote instruction to fight the spread of COVID-19. Courses are to continue online through the Summer semester.
Remote Teaching Support
As part of FIU's academic continuity plan, it is important for instructors to consider how to deliver their face-to-face and hybrid courses remotely throughout the summer. The Academic Continuity Team has developed a guide to provide you with steps and recommendations to assist you in making that shift. Visit the FIU Canvas Academic Continuity Guide to learn more, or browse our Training Opportunities.
There are multiple ways to get support:
- Open a case to request a course consultation with an FIU course conversion specialist about Canvas, Zoom, Honorlock and/or other FIU-supported tools. Support is available Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Contact the support team 24/7/365 at 305-348-3630 or toll-free at 1-877-3-ELEARN.
- Log in to Canvas and click the "Help" icon in the bottom left to chat with Canvas support 24/7/365.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, course, course section and a brief description of your support needs and a representative will contact you.
If you have any specific questions regarding support, please email CASE Director of Online Learning Wendy Sanchez at email@example.com.
Live Lectures with Zoom
Zoom is FIU's official web conferencing application for real-time course lectures, meetings, and tutoring. A reliable cloud platform, Zoom is capable of video and audio conferencing, collaboration, chat, and webinars across mobile devices, desktops, telephones and room systems.
Exam Proctoring Solutions
FIU will continue to use Honorlock to provide proctoring for up to four exams per student in each course section, across all modalities, during the Summer 2020 semester. The cost of proctoring the four aforementioned exams will be funded by the university and will not be passed on to the student.
Honorlock is a proctoring solution that helps protect the academic integrity of assessments created within your Canvas course while offering students the ability to take their exams within the time frame allotted by the instructor. Honorlock uses automated integrity analytics and artificial intelligence to provide a human-free proctoring service. Testing accommodations, such as extended time on exams, can still be applied by faculty in advance prior to the exam date.
For more information, see:
- FIU Honorlock information
- Honorlock information Google Doc
- HonorLock Q&A presentation
- HonorLock Q&A webinar recording
- HonorLock AI flags and proctor alerts
Live Proctoring: Zoom with LockDown Browser
As an alternative to Honorlock, instructors can leverage Respondus LockDown Browser and a Zoom Meeting for live proctoring their own exams. Instructors would have their students join a Zoom meeting for an exam, ask to have their webcams and microphones enabled, and monitor student movements as they take the exam via LockDown Browser and Canvas.
View the Alternative Zoom and RLDB live proctoring guide to get started.
This page is being updated continually with new information. If you are visiting this page frequently, your browser may cache an older version; use Command+Shift+R for Mac or Ctrl+F5 for Windows to see the newest version of the page.