The Women Explorers Award empowers graduate students at FIU who dream of exploration and discovery by providing the support they need to nurture their curiosity, develop research experience and propel their careers forward.
Women Explorers awardees receive $5,000 to pursue a STEM research project, in the field or the lab.
Apply for the Award
This award is open to graduate students only. All applications must include an exploration component that takes place in the field or the lab. Applicants are not required to have prior field or lab experience. If you do have experience, record of prior experience in research, conservation or exploration, you should submit it as it pertains to your proposed project. If you are planning to work in another country, you should make great effort to include at least one local collaborator as part of your team.
Applications are due December 1, 2023.
The application will consist of ONE PDF that includes:
- Project title
- Project abstract (250 words)
- A link to a two-minute video about you and the project you want to do*
- Project description (1,000 words)
- Project members
- Faculty mentor (if applicable)
- Budget details
- Other funding sources
- Expected outcomes
- Names of three academic or professional references
*To make the link of your 2-minute video follow the steps below:
1) Upload the video to YouTube.
2) Set the visibility of the video as unlisted, so that it can only be viewed by those with access to the link.
3) Add the shareable link of the video to the pdf of your application package.
Any travel associated with the award must be completed by September 2025.
Awards will be announced in January 2024 and there will be an award ceremony in February 2024.
A final report is expected after the awards are fully expended including photographs and/or a short video in action from the field. For more information on this award, contact Catherine Guinovart at email@example.com.