Licensing in Florida

To get licensed as a Mental Health Counselor in the state of Florida, follow these steps:

  • Complete a master’s degree, including at least 1,000 hours of pre-master's supervised clinical practicum and internship and at least 60 credit hours in the 12 required content areas
  • Register with the Florida Board as an Registered MHC Intern
  • Begin the two-year post-master's supervised experience in mental health counseling. Follow the following guidelines:
    • Complete at least 100 hours of supervision in no less than 100 weeks
    • Complete 1,500 hours of face-to-face psychotherapy with clients
    • One hour of supervision every two weeks
    • These hours must be completed in a mental health setting where there is a licensed mental health counselor (or the equivalent) on staff
  • Register for and take the National Clinical Mental Health Counseling Examination.
  • From the Board-approved CEUs provider, complete:
    • An eight-hour Laws and Rules course
    • A three-hour course on Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome
    • A two-hour Domestic Violence course
  • Complete an application for licensure

Please review the laws and rules to determine eligibility. The laws and rules can be found at Florida Licensed Mental Health Counselor website under Statutes & Rules, Mental Health Counseling s. 491.005(4), F.S., and Rule Chapter 64B4, F.A.C.

Registered Internship

Follow these steps to become a Registered Mental Health Counselor Intern in the state of Florida:

Step 1

Obtain an application from the Licensure Board and complete all sections. Instructions for the application are available on the website, but you may also consult these example instructions and an example completed application form.

Once the application is complete, mail the application with the appropriate fee to:

Board of Clinical Social Work,
Marriage & Family Therapy
and Mental Health Counseling
4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin C-08 
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-3258

Step 2

The Board requires that the university send a letter verifying that your Practicum and Internship were completed following the CACREP Standards. Please complete the Practicum and Internship Verification Form found in the Student Handbook (see Program for the handbook) and forward it to the program coordinator. Once the form is received, the letter will be prepared and sent directly to the Board.

Step 3

You must identify a Qualified Supervisor to sign off on your post-master's hours before you can count the hours toward licensure. If you already have a supervisor at the time you fill out the application, you may provide that information at that time. Most agencies where you will likely be employed as a Registered Intern will provide you with a Supervisor.

If you have any specific questions about the application, please contact the Board directly.

Licensure Exam

To find out more about the National Clinical Mental Health Counseling Examination:

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I sit for the National Examination before I finish my post-master's hours?


Do I have to be finished with my supervised experience before I can take the laws and rules course and the medical errors course?

No. You can take these courses anytime.

As a registered intern, am I required to obtain continuing education?

No, however, you may choose to take the HIV/AIDS and Domestic Violence requirements for initial Licensure while you are a registered intern.

I’ve just put my application for intern registration in the mail. Can I begin counting my hours now?

No. Chapter 491.0045, F.S. requires that you register as an intern prior to commencing and counting the hours towards the post-master’s experience.    

Can I complete my hours in less than 2 years?