Students requesting teaching assistantships should make that request in their Statement of Purpose.
- Fall: Apply by March 1, 5 p.m. EST
- Spring: Apply by October 1, 5 p.m. EST
- GPA: 3.0 undergraduate
- GRE: Not required
- Applicant Statement / Letter of Intent: Required
- Letters of Recommendation: Two letters required from undergraduate or graduate literature, and/or writing and rhetoric professors
- Additional Requirements: Minimum 10-page writing sample
- Optional Requirements: Statement of purpose indicating a desire to be considered for a teaching assistantship
For additional requirements, consult the Graduate Catalog.
The Department of English offers a limited number of teaching assistantships, which include a tuition waiver and a stipend. Upon completing 18 hours of graduate work, including Pedagogy (ENG 6937), students are assigned to teach a course of freshman composition. Students may hold a teaching assistantship for a maximum of two years, and teaching assistants must be registered for 9 credit hours while they hold their assistantship. All inquiries about financial aid should be addressed to the Financial Aid Office, which also awards loans, work-study, and all other financial packages.