About Transient Student Status
- Transient students are not officially admitted as regular degree-seeking students. Enrollment as a non-degree-seeking student does not imply a right to future admission as a regular degree-seeking student.
- Transient students may not register during the official registration period for degree-seeking students. Registration begins on the Thursday before the start of the session/term.
- Registration is permitted on a space-available basis. Requests for enrollment into a closed class will be subject to the sole discretion of the professor; enrollment is not guaranteed. Students will not be added if the class is closed due to maximum occupancy.
- For enrollment into available courses that have prerequisites, the academic department will need to review a copy of the student's unofficial transcripts.
Apply as a Transient Student
Undergraduate students may attempt up to 15 credits, and graduate students may attempt 12 attempted credits hours as a Non-Degree Seeking Student.
To take more credits than the limit above, see Apply as an Affiliated Student below. If you are applying for a course(s) with prerequisites, see Get Approval for Prerequisites.
Get Approval for Prerequisites
If you want to enroll in a course that requires prerequisites, and you have completed prerequisites outside of FIU, you must contact the appropriate department, center or program for approval with proof of prerequisite completion. In your email, please include a copy of your unofficial transcripts indicating successful completion of the prerequisite, along with your name, Panther ID and the course number for the specific open section in which you’d like to enroll.
- Biological Sciences: email@example.com
- Chemistry and Biochemistry: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Counseling, Recreation and School Psychology: email@example.com
- Earth and Environment: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Educational Policy Studies: email@example.com
- English: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Liberal Studies Program: email@example.com
- Mathematics and Statistics: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Philosophy: email@example.com
- Physics: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Psychology: email@example.com
- Teaching and Learning: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Women's and Gender Studies: email@example.com
If the course you're looking for is not part of one of these departments, visit FIU Departments & Programs to browse units from other FIU colleges and schools.
Undergraduate students wishing to take more than 15 credits as a non-degree-seeking student must affiliate with a department or college. Students who wish to affiliate with the College of Arts, Sciences & Education should fill out the undergraduate affiliation request and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduate students wishing to take more than 12 credits as a non-degree-seeking student should fill out the graduate affiliation request and consult with the graduate program director for the desired affiliated program.