We welcome students from other universities and colleges to take courses at FIU as transient students and take the credits back to their home institution.

FIU students interested in taking courses at another institution should visit the instructions on our Frequently Asked Questions page.

About Transient Student Status

  • Transient students are not officially admitted as regular degree-seeking students. Enrollment as a non-degree-seeking student does not imply a right to future admission as a regular degree-seeking student.
  • Transient students may not register during the official registration period for degree-seeking students. Registration begins on the Thursday before the start of the session/term. Visit OneStop for Enrollment Dates.
  • Registration is permitted on a space-available basis. Requests for enrollment into a closed class will be subject to the sole discretion of the professor; enrollment is not guaranteed. Students will not be added if the class is closed due to maximum occupancy. Seats cannot be held by departments for transient students. Requests to the department will not be granted.
  • Transient students must adhere to prerequisite and corequisite course requirements.
  • For enrollment into available courses that have prerequisites, the academic department will need to review a copy of the student's unofficial transcripts.

Plan Ahead 

Undergraduate transient students looking to take courses at FIU should first connect with an advisor from their home institution to determine which courses to take as a transient. Here are some steps you can take to plan ahead.

  • Search for classes (no log-in required to view)
  • Review FIU's  Transfer Equivalency Database to see how FIU equates courses from other institutions to FIU equivalents.  This can serve as a guide for your home advisor. 
  • Transient enrollment dates will likely begin later than the enrollment dates at your home institution.  Class availability is not guaranteed.
  • Connect with your advisor at your home institution to confirm appropriate courses.

Apply as a Transient Student

Undergraduate students may attempt up to 15 credits, and graduate students may attempt 12 attempted credits hours as a Non-Degree Seeking Student.

To take more credits than the limit above, see Apply as an Affiliated Student below. If you are applying for a course(s) with prerequisites, see Get Approval for Prerequisites.

How to Register

Registration may look a little different than at your home institution. Below are resources to assist you in selecting courses and how to register.

Get Approval for Prerequisites

If you want to enroll in a course that requires prerequisites, and you have completed prerequisites outside of FIU, you must contact the appropriate department, center or program for approval with proof of prerequisite completion. In your email, please include a copy of your unofficial transcripts indicating successful completion of the prerequisite, along with your name, Panther ID and the course number for the specific open section in which you’d like to enroll. Please note that some courses may also require co-requisites as a condition of enrollment.

If the course you're looking for is not part of one of these departments, visit FIU Departments & Programs to browse units from other FIU colleges and schools.

Departmental Affiliation

Undergraduate students wishing to take more than 15 credits as a non-degree-seeking student must affiliate with a department or college. Students who wish to affiliate with the College of Arts, Sciences & Education should fill out the undergraduate affiliation request and submit it to caseadvising@fiu.edu.

Graduate students wishing to take more than 12 credits as a non-degree-seeking student should fill out the graduate affiliation request and consult with the graduate program director for the desired affiliated program.