Visiting Assistant Teaching Professor
Counseling, Recreation and School Psychology
Office: ZEB 337A
Specialties: Recreational Therapy, Facility Management, Sports Marketing, Substance Abuse, Health Education
Garland D. Jones, visiting assistant teaching professor, is a licensed and board-certified recreational therapist and has worked in the field of recreation for over 12 years. Professor Jones has experience working with various parks and recreation agencies, state funded programs; private community-based agencies and volunteers her time with the Special Olympics, Miracle League, Sunshine League, coaching, recreational consulting and working with adults and children with special needs. She has dedicated her career to working with socially and economically at-risk populations and takes pride in her profession.
Professor Jones has an extensive background in management (sports, recreation and hospitality), health/ exercise science, marketing and has developed programs within several southeastern regional communities with a focus on quality of life initiatives. Her current research areas of interest include substance abuse, outdoor recreation and sports adaptations, physical rehabilitation, geriatrics, Caribbean community health initiatives, public health and experimental therapies.
Professor Jones is an active member of several professional organizations including the American Therapeutic Recreation Association (ATRA) and the Society of Health and Physical Educators (SHAPE). Professor Jones is currently pursuing her DrPH in Public Health from Capella University. Prior to arriving to FIU, Professor Jones was the Director of Recreational Therapy for a large tri-county-based healthcare organization and served as an internship site supervisor for FIU.
- Substance Abuse
- Behavioral Health
- Adaptive Outdoor Recreation and Sports
- Public Health
- Experimental Therapy
- Physical Rehabilitation
- Caribbean Community Health Initiatives
- LEI3001- Leisure and Recreation in America
- LEI4711- Client Assessment, Documentation and Evaluation in Recreational Therapy
- LEI3723- Recreational Therapy Facilitation Techniques and Modalities Lab
- LEI3630- Facility Care, Maintenance and Design
- LEI3703-Introduction to Recreational Therapy
- LEI3707- Inclusive Recreation Services
- LEI4724- Recreational Therapy Facilitation Techniques and Modalities
- LEI4940- Internship I
- MS - Florida International University, Recreation and Sport Management: Recreational Therapy
- BS - Bethune-Cookman University, Physical Education: Recreation, Kinesiology and Health Science