Distinguished University Professor
Chemistry and Biochemistry
Office: AHC4 361
Specialty: Director, Trace Evidence Analysis Facility
- Development and application of analytical chemistry tools to enhance the value of scientific evidence.
- Detection and identification of organic compounds of forensic interest such as controlled substances and explosives in the field or through use of field-portable detectors such as Ion Mobility Spectrometers. Coupling of SPME to IMS for detection of odor compounds of drugs and explosives.
- Development of methodology for the characterization of materials using elemental analysis, specifically the determination of ultra-trace quantities of metals in glass and other matrices using LA-ICP-MS, u-XRF and LIBS. Fundamental improvement in LIBS analysis of materials including the use of double-pulsed and microwave-assisted experiments.
- BS, Florida International University
- MS, University of Miami
- PhD, University of Strathclyde