Title: Assistant Professor
Office: CP 330
Department(s): Chemistry and Biochemistry
Sonia Underwood joined FIU in January 2016 after working as a Research Associate at Michigan State University in the area of chemistry education research. Prior to that, she received her
- B.S. – University of Central Florida
- Ph.D. – Clemson University
- Postdoctoral Fellowship – Clemson University
- Research Associate – Michigan State University
- Chemistry education
understandinghow students learn to develop their chemistry knowledge as well as how they relate this knowledge for their other science courses
The three research projects currently ongoing are:
- Developing assessment measures to determine the impact of curriculum transformations.
- Investigating the ways in which students use a chemical structure (i.e. Lewis structure) to predict a compound’s macroscopic properties (i.e. reactivity and acidity/basicity).
- Exploring the connections students make between their chemistry, biology, and physics courses.