Dr. Maria K. Lovett is a Clinical Associate Professor of Social Foundations and Urban Education in the School of Education and Human Development at Florida International University. She is a community-based educator and researcher and the faculty liaison to the South Florida Local Alliance for Math Literacy and Equity (FLAME) and works with the Algebra Project (AP) and Young People’s Project (YPP) locally and nationally. As a community-influenced educator and researcher, Maria employs Community Based Action Research (CBAR) and Youth Participatory Action Research (YPAR) in the field.
Drawing from her backgrounds as a documentary filmmaker and educator and her experience documenting the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans she also uses a methodology she created called Video Action Research and Pedagogy to connect documentary production and critical pedagogical praxis to explore interdisciplinary ways of knowing and producing knowledge. Maria spent four years as the director and faculty liaison of The Education Effect, FIU’s first university community school partnership with Miami Northwestern Senior High in the Liberty City neighborhood of Miami. She has published several articles, book chapters and held conference presentations within the paradigm of social justice and education. Based on her engagement work in the community Maria received FIU’s MLK Service Award, the University Faculty Engagement Award, and awards in engagement and teaching with the College of Arts, Sciences and Education.
Education policy, urban education, community engagement, cultural studies, youth participatory action research, community participatory action research, media studies, video action research and pedagogy
- College of Arts, Sciences and Education Faculty Award (2018). Recognition for Engagement.
- College of Arts, Sciences and Education Faculty Award (2017). Recognition for Teaching.
- College of Arts, Sciences and Education Faculty Award (2016). Recognition for Engagement.
- eMerge Finalist Award (2014). Group award in innovation.
- Martin Luther King Service Award (2013). FIU winner 2013 for civic engagement.
- FIU Community Award (2012). FIU winner for engaged scholarship, teaching
- Florida Campus Compact Award (2012). Finalist group award for university community school engagement.
- Best Documentary: Wildman on The Chessboard (2000). The New School University, New York, NY.
- Best in Show Film: Kids on the Ave (1998). The New School University, New York, NY.