Frequently Asked Questions

What is Recreational Therapy?

Recreational Therapy, also known as therapeutic recreation, is a systematic process that utilizes recreation and other activity-based interventions to address the assessed needs of individuals with illness and/or disabling conditions, as a means to psychological and physical health, recovery and well-being.

What is a CTRS?

A Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) is a certified recreational therapist who has demonstrated professional competence by acquiring a specific body of knowledge and passing the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) exam and is the most qualified professional to provide recreational therapy services. A CTRS often serves as a member of the healthcare treatment team with other healthcare professionals.

What is NCTRC?

NCTRC is the premier credentialing organization for the field of recreational therapy. NCTRC sets standards for certification including education, experience, and continuing professional development. FIU’s RT program is based off NCTRC standards, and all graduates of the Accelerated 4+1 RT program will be eligible to sit for the NCTRC exam to become a CTRS.

What is the BS/MS Combined Degree (4+1) Program?

A 4+1 program allows students to complete a bachelor's AND a master’s degree in less time (5 years rather than 6) in the Recreational Therapy program and will be eligible to become a CTRS upon graduation.

Who is Eligible to Appy for the BS/MS Combined Degree Program?

Current Pre-Recreational Therapy/Adaptive Recreation (Pre-RT/AR) students who have completed between 75-90 undergraduate credits and have a minimum GPA of 3.2.

Why Should I Get a Master’s Degree?

The field of RT is moving more towards a master’s level entry (much like it did with PT, OT, SLP); having a master’s degree in the field will make you a more competitive candidate for RT jobs and likely offer you more potential for upward mobility at an agency to become an administrator or manager.

What if I want to become a CTRS, but do NOT want to get my Master’s degree?

Students who do not want to get their master’s degree can exit the BS/MS Combined degree program after year 4 and still receive a bachelor's degree AND be eligible to become a CTRS. Students who are interested in this route still need to be accepted into the 4+1 program.