Students in the STEM Education Academy learn science by doing science, beyond the traditional high school classroom. They have an opportunity to engage in meaningful learning experiences at FIU science facilities on the Modesto A. Maidique Campus (MMC), Biscayne Bay Campus (BBC) and beyond, including:
Stocker AstroScience Center
Learn how to conduct astronomical observations and research on objects ranging from nearby solar systems to distant galaxies. This fully-equipped, modern observatory and teaching and research center houses South Florida’s only research-grade telescope.
Florida Keys & Me
Visit Islamorada to examine the sensitive ecosystems of the Florida Keys, track the native plants that repopulate an area after invasive species are removed using the iNaturalist app, and test water for dangerous microscopic plastics using the Microplastic Awareness Project.
Deploy a seine net from the Biscayne Bay Campus shoreline to catch juvenile fish that inhabit the mangrove habitat. Be a scientist for the day, recording biotic and abiotic measurements including IDing fish species, taking length measurements and testing salinity.
Mangrove Shoreline Environmental Cleanup
Work along the mangroves at the Biscayne Bay Campus to remove marine debris, collect mangrove propagules and remove invasive plant species. Record data on the debris you collect using NOAA Marine Debris Data Sheets.
Wall of Wind
The Wall of Wind Experimental Facility at the FIU Engineering Center enables researchers to better understand wind effects on civil infrastructure systems and to prevent wind hazards from becoming community disasters. It is powered by a combined 12-fan system capable of repeatable testing in up to 157 mph wind speeds.
Meet FIU Scientists
Meet faculty and graduate students and learn about their STEM research.
Benefits of the Academy
Students in the STEM Education Academy will:
- Complete a STEM-focused dual enrollment curriculum
- Earn 29-32 college credits, free of tuition and fees, while in high school
- Get a head start on the college experience
- Participate in FIU student activities
- Receive guidance from FIU academic advisors and admissions representatives
- Visit FIU science facilities such as the Aquarius Reef Base and Stocker AstroScience Center
- Engage in hands-on science research experiences at FIU Modesto Maidique Campus
- Have access to FIU libraries and resources
- Be eligible for undergraduate scholarship funding
- Be on the path to earn a degree with multiple career options
- Qualify for preferred employment opportunities with M-DCPS
Terms and conditions apply
Subject to change
|Grade||Semester||Course||Course Description (subject to change)||Credits|
|9||Fall||SLS 1510||Strategies for Success||3|
|Spring||DEP 2000||Human Growth and Development||3|
|10||Fall||EDF 1005||Introduction to Education||3|
|Spring||EDF 2085||Teaching Diverse Populations||3|
|11||Fall||MAC 1105||College Algebra (appropriate score on placement exam required)||3|
|Spring||MAC 1147||Pre-calculus Algebra and Trigonometry (prerequisite: MAC 1105)||3|
|Summer||BSC 3941||Biological Sciences Research Internship at FIU MMC campus (transportation to FIU is required)||3|
|Optional Elective||One DE course from the list of approved courses (optional)||3|
|12||Fall||CHM 1045 and CHM 1045L||General Chemistry I with Lab||4|
|Spring||GLY 1101 and GLY 1101L||History of Life with Lab||4|
In order to participate, students must:
- Be recommended by a school administrator in 8th grade.
- Have a 3.0 unweighted high school GPA (based on high school courses taken in middle school).
- Demonstrate college readiness with the minimum required scores on the Postsecondary Education Readiness Test.
- Complete application and consent form.
- Meet any additional criteria set by Florida International University as the post-secondary institution.
After admitted, students must:
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA or better in FIU college-level work.
- Successfully complete the Academy dual enrollment courses.
- Comply with the FIU Student Code of Conduct.
STEM Education Academy students kickstart program with visit to FIU
Recently, STEM Education Academy students from Southwest Miami Senior High School began the year with a visit to [...]
FIU and Southwest Senior High team up for STEM Education Academy
The College of Arts, Sciences and Education and Southwest Miami Senior High School have come together to prepare high [...]